Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Semana Santa

Hello!
We had a hard time finding people last week. It was Semana Santa (Holy Week). So basically everyone was on spring break and a lot of people went out of town. So, there weren't very many people in the street. And it was a rainy week. We had a lot of interesting observances of Easter, especially at night. We live right off of the Calle Mayor (Its kinda like Main Street) and are very close to one of the big Catholic Churches in Guadalajara. During the Semana Santa (Easter is a week long celebration, not a only on Sunday kinda thing) they have processionals in the street. Friday night we had to cross their processional path in order to get home. They were walking down the Calle Mayor, and we needed to cross it. That was about the only time that we saw a lot of people in the street last week. It was also weird because we didn't have any sort of Easter talks or lessons in Church on Sunday, we didn't even sing the Easter hymns.

As far as emails go, we go to a Locutorio. It is basically a little computer lab. They have a few computers, and some pay phones, which are mostly used for long distance phone calls.

On Monday, we started teaching this lady who is one of those people that has been prepared for the missionaries. Her name is Jeaneth. She is friends with Evelyn, one of the recent converts, and both are from Ecuador. But she isn't a referral from Evelyn. We ran into her in the street because she had mistaken us for the sisters who had been serving here previously. About four years ago she had been taking discussions from the Jehovah's Witnesses, but had some complications in her life and never got baptized. And when we were teaching a brief overview of the lessons and our purpose as missionaries she kept saying "teach me more, teach me more" and I could tell that she definitely was believing and accepting what we were telling her. We wear joking about how the Jehovah's Witnesses did all the work, and now we are just going to point her down the right path. We expect her to get baptized in the next few weeks. One of the mission rules for baptism is that they attend church three times. And since she had met with the old sister missionaries and went to church, she only needs a few more times. She is so ready it is unbelieveable.

Speaking of Jehovah's Witnesses, there are a lot in here in Guadalajara. At least a lot more than I expected. We overhear a lot of people saying "They are Jehovah's Witnesses" as we walk past, and we often have to explain that we aren't the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Our piso check was fine, we had to do a lot of deep cleaning, but our piso was clean. And the senior couple brought my package! So it made it here.

Next week being Mother's Day and all, I get to call you! We can talk on the phone, or we can Skype, which ever you prefer. It doesn't really matter to me. We should also be thinking about what time would be best. I know it will be in the afternoon/evening here, but as of right now, that day is pretty open and we can schedule around your meetings. Just let me know, and next week I can send you some more details.

Today we are going to Madrid with the Elders in our district. I'm not entirely sure what we are going to do, but it will be fun!

I hope that everyone has fun with Gramma and Grampa this weekend.

Love, Amber

p.s.
I realized after I sent my email that I have a little more to tell you!
Next week I have my first intercambio! (Exchange)
I am going to Barrio 8! (Ward 8) It's in Madrid, and I think that it is one of the wards that meets at the stake center on the temple grounds, but I'm not sure.
Anyways, I'll go to Madrid Monday afternoon during mediodía, and come back to Guadalajara on
Wednesday sometime. I'm kinda excited about it. It will be fun to work with a different companion and to get to meet some new people and see some new things.
Just thought that you might like to know!
Love, Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment