Thursday, May 19, 2011

An "Average" Week?

Hello!

We have had a bit of an interesting week. Wednesday night, we went to see Jeaneth. She had bought more cigarettes, and when we got there they still didn't have any electricity. But before we left, the lights came on. She told us that she can't stop smoking right now. She needs to sleep to be able to cope and can't sleep unless she has a cigarette. She recognizes that she needs to stop smoking to be baptized, but she doesn't want to try right now. So we invited her to keep coming to church, and to keep reading. Saturday we passed by her house again. She told us that she didn't think she was going to come to church. I don't think that we are going to be seeing her anymore.

But we have found some other families to teach. One is from the Dominican Republic. We have been teaching the mom, and her daughters. One is 13, one is 10 and the other is like 4 months old. They are really great, and really receptive to what we have been teaching. The dad works in a restaurant, and May is the big month for weddings, baptisms, and confirmations, so the restaurant industry is really busy. Sunny, the mom, has been working in the restaurant these past few days. So we haven't been able to see them all week. But we keep calling, and maybe we will be able to catch them all together pretty soon!

The other family is from Venezuela. They have two little boys the oldest is 3(?). We have just started teaching them, but we can tell that they are really great. We have another appointment with them tonight. They have called to reschedule, and one time we had an appointment set, but our other lessons ran long, and they called to see where we were. It is always a good sign when an investigator is willing to call us.

Sunday morning, when we woke up, Hna. Marín wasn't feeling very well. She called Hna. Watkins, who called the mission doctor, who called us, and eventually told us to take Hna. Marín to the hopsital. She has gastroenteritis. So we missed church Sunday morning, and took an extra long mediodía so she could rest and get better. She is feeling much better now! But it was a crazy day. So I had quite of bit of study time Sunday morning, and I had to cook food just for me the past few days. Normally, we cook together, but she has been eating different things. It was weird to have to cook just for me again.

And this week is the first week of my second transfer. It is a little weird to think that there are newer missionaries than me in the field, especially since I still feel like I don't really know what I am doing. I am going to work at it though, especially because in August is when we start to switch Hermanas, and the odds are that I am going to be training. Saturday morning was pretty entertaining though. We were supposed to get a call from our district leader to let us know about transfers, but he never called. Hna. Marín was texting one of our zone leaders, who let us know that we were both staying here in Guadalajara. Then I got to watch as she called other Hermanas, and other Hermanas called her, to find out where everyone was going. It was pretty funny to watch her face as she found out what changes had been made.

I'm glad to hear that Sophie had a great birthday party! And that she and Brenna did great in their recital, although I knew that they would be awesome!

We didn't feel the earthquake, at least not that I noticed. But we did hear some things, and once or twice we caught a glimpse of it on someone's television.

Congratulations to Brenna on her scholarship! That is awesome! My last few weeks of high school were pretty busy with all the AP tests, but once the tests were over, it was really, really easy. I didn't have many other assignments.

For the skirt, (I forgot to double check) I am fairly certain that the black Modbod skirt is a large. But I would prefer it in brown. And they actually are a little bit different. The black one is straight cotton, the brown is something else, but I like the brown more. And the dresses I am fairly certain are smalls. I remember that I had to go smaller than normal to find a dress that fit just right. But I don't really care about that color, whatever you find will be great. I think I would like you to send my sandals. They should be in the pile of shoes (The big blue box I think.) We bought some sandals today, but I think that I am going to want to have at least one more pair, so I can change what I have on my feet. Plus I think that if I have more than one pair, I won't need to buy another next year.

The contacting is definitely the hardest thing for me. (Big shocker, I know) But it is really different now that I am in the field, and not in the MTC. The goal in the contacting is different. But I am getting better at it, and it is getting easier every time I do it.

Today we didn't do anything really exciting for P-Day. We stayed in town and bought sandals, and food, and a new bag. Because mine broke on Sunday. The strap just snapped off. I bought a backpack at a Chino. I am going to call it the Spanish version of our dollar store, only a little bit better. They are called Chinos because they are owned by Chinese people. The have some pretty great stuff, and it is all very cheap. But things cost more that one dollar, or one euro, but the idea is basically the same. We did buy our sandals at an actual shoe store. I didn't buy some cheap knock-off brand sandals. I did buy a cheap backpack however.

It is starting to get really warm, but at the same time we still have some pretty chilly days. We had to break out the umbrellas again this week. And although it can get pretty hot in the summer, it still gets pretty chilly at night. It definitely feels like we are in the mountains at night. So it has been hot, and cold, but I hear that the late summer, July and August, can get really, really hot. Although it has been hot, it has been pleasant at the same time. And right now it isn't too bad, especially since I know that it is going to be worse in a few months. However, I do think that it was an unusually long winter, and that we are having an unusually long spring.

I can't think of anything else right now.
Love, Amber

No comments:

Post a Comment